Sunday, November 30, 2014

Feminism Vs. Misandry

Feminism has been a topic that I became interested recently. What is feminism by definition?
- the belief that men and women should have equal rights and opportunities
organized activity in support of women's rights and interests"
 (http://i.word.com/idictionary/feminism)
-the advocacy of women's rights on the grounds of political, social, and economic equality to men.
(Google search: feminism)
-the doctrine advocating social, political, and all other rights of women equal to those of men.
(http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/feminism?s=t)

In all of these definitions, we see the word equal. We do not see better than or more than. Now let's see the definition of misandry. 

-dislike of, contempt for, or ingrained prejudice against men 
(Google search: misandry definition)
-hatred of males.
(http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/misandry?s=t)
-a hatred of men
(http://i.word.com/idictionary/misandry)

Misandry is the hatred of men. Often feminism is mistaken for misandry. This is an important point that should be brought to attention of both men and women. Feminism is something wonderful in my eyes because it stands for the equality of women. To offer equal opportunity and to not be put down because of gender. The point is not at all to put down men or to take anything away from them. It is for women and men to see eye to eye and be treated as just another person in the world. One angle to look from is the workplace. I know when I begin working I very much would like to be evaluated by my ability and work ethic rather than by my gender. My gender should not determine my ability.

Feminism does not at all mean that since I am female I will not be given a chance. An important point about feminism is if I have proven myself able just like a man has, why can't I be given the same job. Being a women does not entitle me to any job, just like being a man does not entitle him to any job. We both work and show our skills at our jobs. Our gender should not be an issue. Feminism is asking for equal chance, to be looked at the same way a man is when it comes to rights, work, politics, and society. Misandrists may believe they are better than guys, misandrists do not think highly of men, and some feminists may be misandrists, BUT being a feminist does not mean they're also a misandrist , they are separate things. I feel this is an important point to make because feminism can sometimes  be believed to have a negative connotation. Whether you think that or not is your personal opinion, but I believe feminism should be given a fair chance. Feminists are not always the aggressive unshaven women the stereotypes make them out to be, they are just women fighting for an equal chance in the world. If you think that if  someone is a feminist that it automatically means they hate men, then you are thinking of a different word, and that is misandrist.

(Photo-Google Image Search: Feminist Pictures
http://www.chicagonow.com/nails-on-a-chalkboard/2014/05/5-reasons-to-teach-feminism-in-high-school/ credits another site)

No comments:

Post a Comment